What is Celebrate Education?
Celebrate Education is an annual event honoring local teachers, principals, coaches and volunteers for their continuous hard work and dedication to our community's students. During the event, grants are awarded to exceptional educators for special programs they conduct in the classroom, on the field and after school.
Before 2005, Celebrate Education was known as the NET Awards-Nurturing Education and Teaching. From 1997 to 2004 the NET Awards granted approximately $90,890 to various school programs.
Who sponsors this event?
Local community leaders sponsor Celebrate Education each year, including the Mid-Morning Kiwanis Club of Oshkosh, Oshkosh Chamber of Commerce, Wisconsin Public Service Foundation, Oshkosh Area School District, the UWO College of Education and Human Services and the Oshkosh Area Community Foundation. By partnering together, we are able to award thousands of dollars in grants to educators whose programs make a difference in the lives of our children.
What dollar amount has been awarded in grants?
Since Celebrate Education began in 2005, there has been a total of $133,824 (as of 2015) awarded to educators in the Oshkosh community.
How can I apply for a Celebrate Education grant?
Celebrate Education Throughout the Years
2014-2015 Celebrate Education Committee
Pictured from left: Colleen Harvot, Thelma Ristow, Mary Beth Kelly, Cheryl Fowler, Julie Dumke, Patti Andersen-Shew, Karlene Grabner, Wendy Thompson
2015-2016 Celebrate Education Committee
Back row from left: Julie Dumke, Janice Stark, Cheryl Fowler, Dallas Bennett, Patti Andersen-Shew
Front row from left: Wendy Thompson, Thelma Ristow, Karlene Grabner, Wendy Schwalbe
2016's Grant Recipients:
Spirit of Education Award: Mid-Morning Kiwanis Club of Oshkosh
Dr. Stanley Spanbauer Education and Leadership Award: The Oshkosh Area Community Foundation
Educational Leadership Award: Valley VNA Senior Services
Rudoy Awards for Teaching Excellence:
- Paul Trader, Lourdes Academy High School, Biology
- Rick Duncan, Lourdes Academy High School, Religion
- Doug Michie, Oshkosh North High School, Physics and Biology
- Linda Geffers, Oshkosh West High School, Art Education
- Andrew Schaller, Oshkosh West High School, Social Studies
- Brett Hartman, Oshkosh West High School, English
- Jeanne Gutierrez, Valley Christian School, English
- Martha Wahl, Valley Christian School, Science and Mathematics
- Becca Jepson, Valley Christian School, Mathematics
Rudoy Technology Grants:
- Oshkosh West High School: Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Communication and Creativity
- Lourdes Academy: Computer Science Integration
Celebrate Education Grants:
- Anne Sieck, Jefferson Elementary School, Intensive Autism Interventions in Early Childhood
- Bonnie Barber, Valley Christian Preschool, STEM Fun in 4K
- Meghan Neveau, Read Elementary School, Home to School Connection Backpacks
- Mandy Froehlich, Franklin Elementary School, Move Toward Personalized Learning Classrooms
- Melanie Floyd, Washington Elementary School, Building Social/Emotional Strength
- Zong Vang, Webster Stanley Elementary School, STEM Classroom
- Karen Coats, Lourdes Academy Seton, Building Lifetime Friendships
- Julie Runde, Carl Traeger Elementary School, One Book One CommuniTE Summer Book Club
- Nick Mees, Merrill Middle School, Cultivating Produce Through Hydroponics
- Michelle Haydin, Valley Christian Elementary School, iLove iPads
- Laurin Endres, ALPS Charter School, Multicultural Literacy
- Kathy Horejs, Lourdes Academy Middle School, And The Newbery Medal Winner Is
- Dennis Cooley, Valley Christian School, Well-Rounded Religion
- Ann Frazier, Valley Christian School, Smart-Pens for Smart Kids
- Larry Abel, Valley Christian School, Making Magnetism Amazing
- Ivy Jeskie, Second Chance, School Garden - The Next Step
- Gillian Pakula, Oshkosh West High School, C.A.R.E. 16
- Kyra Sawyer, Oshkosh North High School, Increasing Tolerance Through Theater
- LeeAnn Morrill, Oshkosh North High School, PBIS Take Hold - Take 2
UWO College of Education and Human Services Teacher Excellence Awards:
- Brittany Glad, Carl Traeger Elementary School
- Robin Goedderz, Oaklawn Elementary School
- Shannon Van Scyoc, Valley Christian School
Celebrate Education Grants Press Releases:
Each year we take the time to follow up on our grant recipients to see the amazing things they've done with their programs. Read about some of those programs by clicking on the links below.