What is Celebrate Education?
Celebrate Education is an annual event honoring local teachers, principals, coaches and volunteers for their continuous hard work and dedication to our community's students. During the event, grants are awarded to exceptional educators for special programs they conduct in the classroom, on the field and after school.
Before 2005, Celebrate Education was known as the NET Awards-Nurturing Education and Teaching. From 1997 to 2004 the NET Awards granted approximately $90,890 to various school programs.
Who sponsors this event?
Local community leaders sponsor Celebrate Education each year, including the Mid-Morning Kiwanis Club of Oshkosh, Oshkosh Chamber of Commerce, Wisconsin Public Service Foundation, Oshkosh Area School District, the UWO College of Education and Human Services and the Oshkosh Area Community Foundation. By partnering together, we are able to award thousands of dollars in grants to educators whose programs make a difference in the lives of our children.
What dollar amount has been awarded in grants?
Since Celebrate Education began in 2005, there has been a total of $179,151 (as of 2016) awarded to educators in the Oshkosh community.
How can I apply for a Celebrate Education grant?
We are no longer taking applications for Celebrate Education grants, please apply next year.
Celebrate Education Throughout the Years
2014-2015 Celebrate Education Committee
Pictured from left: Colleen Harvot, Thelma Ristow, Mary Beth Kelly, Cheryl Fowler, Julie Dumke, Patti Andersen-Shew, Karlene Grabner, Wendy Thompson
2015-2016 Celebrate Education Committee
Back row from left: Julie Dumke, Janice Stark, Cheryl Fowler, Dallas Bennett, Patti Andersen-Shew
Front row from left: Wendy Thompson, Thelma Ristow, Karlene Grabner, Wendy Schwalbe
2016-2017 Celebrate Education Committee
Julie Dumke, Janice Stark, Cheryl Fowler, Patti Andresen-Shew, Wendy Thompson, Thelma Ristow, Karlene Grabner, Wendy Schwalbe, Kathleen Esson, Mary Beth Kelly, Nicole Peterson
2016's Grant Recipients:
Spirit of Education Award: Boys & Girls Club of Oshkosh
Dr. Stanley Spanbauer Education and Leadership Award: Harold & Sally Eichstadt
Educational Leadership Award: Oshkosh Rotary
Rudoy Awards for Teaching Excellence:
- Erika Welbes, South Park Middle School, Art
- Amy Joiner, South Park Middle School, Math
- Nicholas Mees, Merrill Middle School, Science
- Kari Parker, Merrill Middle School, Family & Consumer Science
- Jenny Moderson, Webster Stanley Middle School, Math
- Brad Curran, Webster Stanley Middle School, Band
- Bill Counts, Tipler Middle School, Social Studies
- Susan Meunier, Carl Traeger Middle School, Math
- Heidi Wilcox & Jim Vils, Carl Traeger Middle School, Phy-Ed & Health
Rudoy Technology Grants:
- Carl Traeger Middle School, Putting the "Personal" in Personal Fitness
Celebrate Education Grants:
- Anne Sieck, Jefferson Elementary School, Intensive Autism Interventions in Early Childhood
- Wanda Kern, Jefferson Elementary, The Power of Play
- Emily Boyce, Valley Christian, Bucket-O-Fidgets
- Ann Frazier, Valley Christian, Learning Ally: Reloaded!
- Jeanne Gutierrez, Valley Christian, STEAMING up STEM
- Becca Jepson, Valley Christian, Tomorrowland TODAY
- Beckie Lehman, Valley Christian, Mallet Madness
- Kris Brey, Valley Christian, Adventures in Science
- Lynda Wiedenhaupt, Valley Christian, Let's Start Where THEY Are
- Peggy Kehoe, Valley Christian, Adding the Splended in STEM in PreK
- Zong Vang, Webster Elementary, Travel the World from Your Classroom
- Ryan Zak, Webster Middle, Tuesday Morning Breakfast with the Boys
- Sue Dolan & Jill Thurk, Lourdes Academy, Biography Project
- Erin Nugent, Lourdes Academy, Nothin' Better Than a Newbery
- Rhonda Zellmer, Lourdes Academy, Z Squad Reading Club
- Maria Biebel, Lourdes Academy, Breakout EDU
- Heidi Wara, Carl Traeger Elementary, Ball Drumming
- Julie Runde, Carl Traeger Elementary, Best Friends Books
- Melissa Schiek, Carl Traeger Elementary, Innovation in 3rd Grade
- Lyda Osinga, Carl Traeger/South Park Middle, Literacy in the Orchestra Classroom
- Patricia Anderson, Jacob Shapiro, Get S.M.A.R.T.
- Melissa Palecek, Lakeside Elementary, Caring Connection Family Resources
- Will Davis, Perry Tipler Middle, Design Your Own 3D Printed Cell Phone Case
- Nicholas Mees, Merrill Middle, Sustaining Hydroponics in the Classroom
- Lonnie Corpus, Oshkosh West, Jumpstart Breakfast Club
UWO College of Education and Human Services Teacher Excellence Awards:
- Jackie Trebiatowski, Carl Traeger Elementary School
- Mary Hendricks, Oaklawn Elementary School
- Ellen Schutt, Valley Christian School
Celebrate Education Grants Press Releases:
Each year we take the time to follow up on our grant recipients to see the amazing things they've done with their programs. Read about some of those programs by clicking on the links below.